It may not feel like it, but the summer athletics season will soon be upon us. A list of all our athletics matches is now available on our fixtures page. Put the dates in your diary now and get practising your running, jumping and throwing!
Laura Whittle travelled to Northern Ireland to compete in the Armagh Road Race last Thursday evening. She beat a high quality field to win the 3k race in a time of 9.25. Well done Laura!
A jacket and tracksuit bottoms were left behind in the Royal Sutton area at the Nationals on Saturday. If you’re missing these items they’re now at the clubhouse.
For once the weather gods were kind on us. After weeks of rain and a winter of trudging through deep mud those who travelled to Nottingham were treated to Spring like conditions and a hard, fast and entertaining course (thanks from the steeplechasers amongst us for the nice log jump!).
Katie Ingle and Megan McBrien provided the top performances on the day with Katie finishing 17th and Megan finishing 37th in the Junior Women’s race. Georgia Curry also had a great run to finish 69th in the U15 girls race.
Well done to everyone else who competed – there were lots of runners who were competing at the National for the 1st time and they all ran superbly. The RSC results are below:
- U13 boys – Stephen Shirley 243rd; Tom Hancox – 252nd; Ben Horton 344th
- U13 girls – Ellen Humpherston 159th; Melissa Adkins 161st; Georgia Platt 231st; Lucy Ollerenshaw 250th.
- U15 girls – Georgia Curry – 69th; Lois West – 243rd; Libby Dunne – 248th; Becky Evans – 305th; Ella Bissell – 322nd
- U17 men – Jerome Austin – 181st
- Junior women – Katie Ingle – 17th; Megan McBrien – 37th
- Senior Men – Nick Corker – 173rd; Chris Taylor – 469th; Dave Long 559th; Tom Chew – 719th; Richard Lewis – 1214th.
There were some great results at the Birmingham Games. In particular, Donald Brown lowered his own club age group record in the 60m hurdles with a time of 9.04 seconds. RSC results available below:
- Nicholas Mbewe – 60m – 7.52 (3rd); 200m – 24.00 (3rd)
- Kane Howitt – 60m – 7.39 (4th)
- Amiyah Forrest – 60m – 8.27 (4th)
- Joella Spencer – 60m – 8.30 (2nd)
- Nicholas Pryce – 200m – 22.22 (3rd)
- Donald Brown – 60m – 7.60 (3rd); 60m hurdles – 9.04 (1st)
The full results are available here: Birmingham Games
Are any parents/carers/grandparents/older brothers and sisters able to help out the club by officiating this summer? At every athletics meeting we have to provide timekeepers, track judges and field judges. We loose points if we do not have enough officials. If you are at events with your children anyway, it is a good way to keep yourself occupied as well as help out the club.
If you are keen, you need to decide if you want to do field judging, track judging or timekeeping. There is a course you can go on at the Aldersley Leisure Centre om 29.03.14. Any interested people should email firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to Meg Evans at the club.
You may also want to have a look on the England Athletics website
I NOW HAVE ONE WILLING PARENT. (Thank you Nigel.) WOULD ANYONE ELSE BE ABLE TO JOIN HIM?!
A few RSCAC members met Shara Proctor and Tiffany Porter earlier tonight as they prepare for tomorrow’s Grand Prix at the NIA. (Asha Philip was there too, but she escaped before we could pin her down for a photo.) Best of luck to all three athletes as well as 8 RSCAC athletes who will be running at 12:23 and 12:28 in a club connect relay.
Go RSCAC! All support welcomed so get there early if you can to support the athletes. It will also be televised, so set your TV to record.